Monday, August 5, 2013

Leap of Faith

It was day 2 at the Malnutrition Center in Guatemala, on our 4th mission trip there. The kids were starting to warm up to all of the "gringos". One little girl in particular attached herself to me that day, and for the rest of the trip really. When I say attached I mean literally attached. Her name was Adallyne, and she started this game where she would stand on my legs, which was incredibly unstable and dangerous for her to do, and then she would push my hands, that were holding her, away so she could just fall, not knowing where she could land. I had to quickly catch her before she hit the tile floor. Then, if that wasn't enough, little Adallyne started a new game. A game where she would back up and run and jump head first over me legs, to the opposite side of me. I wasn't paying attention all the time because their were 20 other kids to pay attention too, so when she would leap I would see her at the last moment and catch her before injuring her, or the pile of kids she was about to jump into. 
That was I realized that Adallyne had absolutely no doubt in her mind that I was going to catch her every time she leaped. I'm really not sure that she should've had that much faith in me, but it was clear she did. I started thinking about my own life, and how I could apply this to my relationship with God. Adallynes amazing faith to leap into my arms, a guy of the world that makes mistakes every single day of his life, is exactly what Christians are afraid to do with God. You know God, the creator of the universe, the one that made you, oh and the one who loved us enough to send his only son to die on the cross for us, yeah that God. The God that has arms big enough to hold everything that he has created and then some. If this little girl had so much faith to leap into my little human arms, knowing that I would catch her every time..... Why do we have so much problems with this concept?! Especially as Christians, if we were living a life pleasing to Christ, wouldn't that mean we would have the faith to do whatever he desires of us? To leap right off the edge of that cliff, the cliff which represents our, blessed by God, comfortable life style? You see our fear is of this world, but we serve an almighty God that holds this world in the palm of his hand. 
I know I want the faith of little Adallyne to leap no matter what knowing I will be caught. Don't you? Don't you want that worldly fear to be gone? Who is going to have the faith in our generation, or all generations, to leap? To go wherever our God desires us to be? To trust Him with all your life? Who wants to take that leap of faith? I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment